Monday, October 4, 2010

Q&A Number Two

This second interview with Jeff Wallace from MySecretBoston started as an interview about the actual website in terms of setup and his input, and ended up being about how the website helps him do his job and the process he goes through at shows.


Q:MySecretBoston, the music section specifically, is set up in a cool way with a music playlist, your twitter posts about bands playing, and general music news in the center. Did you have any say in the ideas of the actual set up or do you just fill in the information?

A:I had a lot of say in this. It was basically my page to design. We're changing over to a different multimedia server so expect more music on the site shortly. We also are putting together a video team. Pretty soon I'll be adding another music blog with a rotating cast of writers. We're hoping to make the page into it's own site and the more we can offer in terms of multimedia the better. Yeah I can sit there and write about a band, but I'll always be limited by words. Sometimes people need to simply hear the band for themselves and make their own judgments.

Q:How do the twitter link and the playlist help you do your job?

A:he twitter feed is great for quick updates while I'm at shows. It's also a useful tool to drive traffic to our site. Basically I'll post a teaser and then have a link to a page on the site.

Q:Do any bands know about your name? In other words you are in a great position to publicize and get the word out for bands struggling to make a name for themselves. Have you been approached while out at shows?

A:I've made it a point to get out and meet as many people in the local music community as possible. This isn't limited to musicians either. Bartenders, door people, booking agents, club owners, photographers, promoters, and other writers are very important as well. It's all about who you know and more often than not people are willing to share resources. I'm getting to a point where I show up at a local music club or bar and I feel like I know at least a dozen people in the room, important people too, at least on the local scene. I've been drinking beers with some seriously talented people. I guess that happens when you average 4 to 5 shows per week.


Q:If you are there for an assignment do you make any notes while you are actually there or do you enjoy the show and do write ups when you get home?

A:I very rarely take notes at a show unless I know something is too important to forget. I always bring a notebook just in case, but I think it's important to experience a show just as everyone else in the room does and let your memory decide what's important.

Q:Does it make it harder to enjoy the music as a fan when you are on assignment or is it just as enjoyable?

A:As long as I'm listening to a piece of music I'm always on assignment. Everything I hear is part of a bigger picture and can be put to use at some point. Music is endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment